Nutrition & Dietetics
The Nutrition and Dietetics service at QUT Health Clinics offers clients evidence based, personalised dietary advice for the management of:
- Diabetes – type 1, type 2, GDM, group services
- Eating disorders – MDT service
- Endocrine diseases – PCOS, hyper/hypothyroidism, pancreatic insufficiency (PERT)
- Food intolerance and allergy – Coeliac disease, food chemical intolerances, elimination diets, FODMAPs
- Gastrointestinal disorders and diseases – including IBS, IBD, GORD, nausea
- Healthy eating for adults and children
- Heart disease – CVD, CHF, hypertension
- Lifestyle disease – cholesterol management, weight loss, gout, NAFLD, metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes
- Paediatrics – healthy eating, allergies, fussy eating, IBS, Coeliac disease
- Renal – AKI, CKD, transplant and dialysis
- Respiratory disease – COPD, pulmonary rehab group services
- Sports performance – weight categories, endurance, performance enhancement, Body Impedance Analysis
- Weight Management – weight loss, group services
The Nutrition and Dietetics services are provided on an individual basis and through group education sessions. Consultations are provided by 4th year student dietitians under the direct supervision of an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD).
The Nutrition and Dietetics service and the QUT Health Clinics aim
- to provide members of the community with affordable, evidence-based and personalised dietary advice and ongoing support to assist them to work towards achieving their health goals
- to provide students with a safe and supportive learning environment to apply their clinical skills and develop professional competency for their transition to the real world.
Schedule of Fees
- Initial Consultation - $40.00 (concession $30.00)
- Review Consultation - $25.00 (concession $20.00)
- Body Composition Analysis - $25 (concession $20)
- Supermarket tour (Small group tour) - $15 (pre-paid)
Please note, this is not an exhaustive list of services available. Please enquire at the time of making your appointment and details can be provided as to the cost of your specific treatment.
The Nutrition and Dietetics Clinic is located within the QUT Health Clinics at 44 Musk Ave, Kelvin Grove, and serves clients from the greater Brisbane area.
Referrals are accepted from:
- Hospital outpatient clinics/discharge planning
- GPs with or without Medicare referrals (Medicare referrals for individual and group services accepted)
- Allied health professionals
- Clients may also self-refer
To refer a patient:
1. Complete the QUT Health Clinics referral form (PDF file, 71KB)
2. Fax referral to 07 3138 6812
Sports Nutrition Service
The Nutrition and Dietetics Clinic runs a dedicated Sports Nutrition Clinic every Monday afternoon, with Advanced Sports Dietitian Ali Disher.
Ali's specialties are:
- Hydration and sports performance
- Optimising body composition while supporting training goals
- Fat loss
- Lean muscle gain
- Performance nutrition & race planning
- Meeting event milestones: how to fuel effectively during training phases
- Team sports: rugby league and union, football (soccer), netball
- Ultra endurance events – running, cycling
- Child and adolescent nutrition – optimising intake for physical and mental performance
- Food intolerances: management while continuing to train effectively
Call the Nutrition and Dietetics Clinic now on 07 3138 9777 to book a sports nutrition consultation.
Meet Our Team
Andrea Cawte is an Accredited Practising Dietitian and Diabetes Educator with qualifications including Bachelor of Biomedical Science, Master of Nutrition & Dietetics and Post Graduate Certificate in Diabetes Education. She has a strong background in diabetes management in both private practice and hospital settings and is particularly interested in prevention and self-management of chronic disease.
Andrea coordinates the QUT Health Clinics’ interdisciplinary T2DM partnership program with the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital and also facilitates client-focused group programs including DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) and HELP (Healthy Eating & Lifestyle Program) as well as her clinical supervisory duties of students on placement at the QUT Nutrition & Dietetics Clinic.
Rebecca Downes is an Accredited Practicing Dietitian and Accredited Sports Dietitian with degrees in Nutrition & Dietetics and Human Movement Studies (QUT) and post graduate qualifications in Health Management (QUT). She has a strong background in private practice consulting predominantly in chronic disease, weight management and paediatrics. She also has experience working in hospital in the home/post-acute care, corporate health and with recreational athletes.
Rebecca is passionate about providing evidence based client centred care, and has a particular interest in paediatric health. She is now employed as a clinical lecturer in Nutrition and Dietetics, teaching our future dietitians and mentoring final year students in the QUT Nutrition and Dietetics Clinic.
Emily Gill is an Accredited Practicing Dietitian with 20 years of experience working as a Clinical Dietitian. She has worked in tertiary hospitals as a Senior Renal Dietitian in the UK and Australia and has a particular interest in chronic disease management and Eating Disorders.
Emily is a passionate promoter of positive attitudes towards food and body image and enjoys finding practical solutions to meet clients’ nutrition goals. She has had a strong research focus during her career and has been an invited speaker at national and international conferences and a reviewer for national and international Renal Nutrition Guidelines.
Lauren Rogers is an Accredited Practicing Dietitian with over 10 years of experience as a clinical dietitian. Lauren has a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics (QUT) and Post Graduate Diploma in Diabetes Education.
She has extensive experience at the tertiary teaching hospital, The Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, and community health, with particular interest in diabetes, maternity and chronic disease management. Lauren is passionate about providing best practice, client centred care - providing practical food and nutrition advice to help clients achieve their goals and improve their health.
Kelly Stewart is an Accredited Practising Sports Dietitian and is the Sports Nutrition Clinic Supervisor at the QUT Health Clinics. She loves to support athletes to meet their nutrition, hydration and performance goals. Whether you are an elite athlete or weekend warrior, Kelly can help you to find simple tasty and practical nutrition tips to help you reach your potential.
Kelly graduated from the University of Queensland with a double degree in Science and Human Movement Studies and an Honours research degree in Exercise Physiology. She then completed a Master of Nutrition and Dietetics at Deakin University. After holding the Sports Nutrition Fellowship at the Australian Institute of Sport in 2000, Kelly returned to Brisbane for a joint appointment with the Queensland Reds and QUT. She lectures in the School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences at QUT in Exercise and Sports Nutrition and is also (very slowly) completing her PhD in the bone health of high performance athletes.
In her spare time, Kelly likes to play sport, watch sport and drive her kids to sport! Oh and she likes to eat too!
Nutrition and Dietetics
Phone: (07) 3138 9777
44 Musk Ave, Kelvin Grove QLD